How To Beat The Burglar This Christmas
Nov 25, 2016
Ho ho ho!
With Christmas rapidly approaching, everyone is getting excited about the festive season.
But while you’re looking forward to quality time with your family, burglars are thinking of something different entirely.
In fact, they’re rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the haul lurking in good people’s homes at this time of year.
In short, properties are more vulnerable to break-ins at this time of year. There are a number of reasons for this:
• People are buying and sharing presents. Burglars know expensive items are on lots of Christmas lists and will therefore be collecting in people’s homes
• The combination of bank holidays and business closures over the festive season means many families grab the opportunity to take a break. An empty house it very tempting to intruders
• Your social calendar is filling up with parties, get-togethers, and gatherings. Again, an empty house can be easy pickings for criminals
So whilst this reminder may feel pessimistic, when it comes to burglary, prevention is ALWAYS better than cure. The aftermath of a break-in can have far-reaching consequences, which I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
And that is why I encourage you to double-check you’re taking adequate precautions to keep your property, possessions, and loved ones safe and secure at this time of the year.
There are many simple things you can do. For example:
• Don’t leave valuable items on display
• Be mindful of what you put in your outdoor bins and always close the lids. Empty boxes and packaging only advertises the goodies inside your home
• Sense check what you post on social media. Do you really want to advertise that your home is empty?
• Keep doors and windows securely fastened and locked
• Don’t keep a spare key where it can be easily found by unwanted guests
In addition, do consider fitting an intruder alarm.
Remember, most burglaries are opportunistic.
What this means is rarely do criminals target properties. Instead they take their chances where they believe they can enter and leave a home undetected. If you have an alarm fitted, burglars will think twice. After all, the noise will draw attention to your home – noise they don’t want. And if your alarm is monitored, there’s an increased chance that burglars will get caught – something they’re keen to avoid (obviously!)
So if you want to take tighter security measures this Christmas, do give us a call.
Alert Alarms is a family business. We know what your home means to you and we’re here to help you protect it.
Here’s to a happy, safe, and burglar-free Christmas.